Now that you’ve bought the perfect prom dress, you’ve stopped stressing about that, but moved on to worrying about which hairstyle, accessories, or even make-up will make you light-up as you enter the room. We’ve all been there, and I want to share some of my experience and tips with you.
Tips for Choosing Your Prom Accessories
As your big night approaches, shimmering shoes, studded jewels, and a freshly painted manicure are all possibilities but use caution so that you still look classic and elegant instead of looking like an over decorated Christmas tree six months early. Pay attention to not only the style of your gown but colors and embellishments as you select all your accessories.
- Pay attention to the style and color of your gown. If your dress features a halter top or embellishments on the bodice, think about skipping an elaborate necklace and focus your efforts on snazzy earrings or a bracelet. In addition if you’re wearing an elegant solid color gown, you have more options including the ever popular diamonds and rhinestones.
- Choose your hairstyle and hair accessories first because the number of bling you put in your hair will affect the type of earrings you wear. If you can pull it off, opt for a sparkly tiara, and be a princess for the night. Otherwise, consider finishing your style with a jeweled headband or some dried flowers woven throughout your updo.
- Choose one statement piece. If you choose to make your hair accessories extra sparkly, use simpler hoops or a single strand of pearls for jewelry. Alternatively, if you love vintage, colorful pendants, then choose classic diamond teardrop earrings and forgo the extravagant hair jewelry.
- Consider your hairstyle and the bodice of your dress also when you choose your earrings. If you’re thinking about wearing your hair up in a classic French twist, consider wearing some dangly gold chandelier earrings or gold and pearl drop earrings to stand out. However, if the top of the bodice is heavily embellished with beads or stones, aim to match that design or stone and wear a simple earring.
- Select the right necklace for your gown. If you’re donning a strapless dress that you bought from a prom dress website like www.peachesboutique.com, you have a multitude of choices from a single strand of crystals, a chunky heart pendant or layered chains. If your gown is in a solid color with no embellishments, wear more elaborate or glittery necklaces. As for spaghetti strap gowns, a classic choker looks stunning.
- Decide what kind of purse you want for prom. You have basically three options, including a wristlet which is stylish and trendy. A clutch is also super stylish and often includes sequins or jewels but it doesn’t include a strap so you’d have to watch it carefully or choose to check your purse in. Consider choosing one with a handle that will store all your beauty necessities along with your tickets.
- Highlight your dress with the right manicure style and color. If you’re going to wear a classic black dress, add some shimmery gold, a silver polish or a sexy red coat of polish. Alternatively, if you plan on wearing a feminine pastel gown, stick to a white or pastel pink French manicure.
While it seems overwhelming to achieve that overall balance between your jewelry, hair, and make-up, proceed carefully so they complement each other and don’t compete with each other. This way, you’ll have an elegant look to show off.