There are a lot of reasons why people think travel nursing is better than regular nursing. These types of nurses go from one hospital or clinic to another. They are registered with a travel nursing company, through which they are sent to their different assignments.
The Benefits of Travel Nursing
There are many benefits to taking on a role as a travel nurse:
- Money, as the salary of a travel nurse is generally much higher than that of a regular nurse. They usually earn a higher basic wage, but they also receive penalty rates and overtimes. The staffing agency they work through calculates their pay, which means salaries are also managed very well. Plus, travel nurses get extra money for accommodation.
- You get to travel, not just all over the country, but even all over the world. Native English speaks can go to Australia (there is a very big shortage there), Canada, the United Kingdom, and all over this country. The travel nursing company they work for will make all the necessary arrangements in terms of visas and so on.
- Travel nurses do not get involved in the inevitable office politics. They are there for a short period of time only, never long enough to really become involved in the personal issues that other staff members are facing.
- You will get lots of social benefits, however. You will quickly know people all over the world, and your social media friends list will grow to epic proportions. Travel nurses have a strong focus on the social, as they have to be able to make themselves as home in a very short period of time, wherever they are
- You will get excellent health benefits. This generally includes dental and medical benefits, which is what attracts most nurses to the job in the first place. You may also be offered a 401K plan.
- As a travel nurse, you will rapidly build a very strong resume. You will get a lot more experience in a far shorter period of time, working in a variety of different clinics and departments. Should you want to stop traveling, you will have all that experience to show a prospective employer that you are fit for the job.
- You may receive referral bonuses if you recommend other nurses to your agency. There is a huge demand for travel nurses, and since you will constantly meet different nurses, it is quite easy to earn those referral bonuses.
- Usually, travel nurses are paired with at least one other nurse, so you will have the ability to build lengthy, lasting friendships and see the world together.
- You may be sent to areas of natural disasters or political unrest, which means your work will really be able to make the world a better place for the people who have been affected.
As you can see, the benefits are numerous and very significant. If you would like to have an interesting, varied career that allows you to earn a lot and see the world, then this is the job for you.