The path to a happy life involves exploration, and it is only through experience that we learn things. For most young people, travel is an exciting prospect, with many young travellers backpacking their way around the world, in search of nothing other than new experiences. Yet, aside from a very select few who throw caution to the wind, we do need an element of security, and volunteer work is the ideal way to see the world, experience other cultures, and have a sense of purpose.
- Thailand – The Traveller’s Hub – This is perhaps the most popular destination for those seeking volunteer opportunities, and no wonder, when you look at the peaceful, Buddhist people who are known for their generous hospitality, not to mention the stunning tropical environment. If you would like to know more, check out Thailand volunteer opportunities from GROUNDRocks, a dynamic organisation that provides the ideal platform for young people who want to immerse themselves in the culture and become involved with development projects in various parts of the country. Once you have completed your assignment, you are perfectly located to explore any number of exotic and interesting places, including Indonesia, Malaysia, Laos, and Vietnam.
- Diverse Cultures– For those who are seeking sub-cultures within cultures, Thailand has it all, with the unique northern tribe culture, and the amazing cheerfulness of the Isaan people, and then there’s the south of Thailand, with its white sand beaches and crystal clear waters, and you can experience this while helping to create something positive for the local community.
- Close to Nature– There are rural community projects in Thailand where you will learn about local agriculture, and this healthy lifestyle will help you appreciate nature, and all that it provides. The local people will add another dimension to your wealth of experiences, and you will likely forge life-long relationships with other volunteers.
- Short Breaks– Being a volunteer in Thailand offers you many short breaks from the work, and what better place to be than the Land of Smiles, which has some of the best beaches in the world, and you’re only a few hours coach ride from the mountainous north, which is full of surprises.
- Low Cost of Living– If saving is your priority, Thailand has a very low cost of living, and aside from the home of great food, the fruits make for a unique culinary experience. Great tasting street food costs next to nothing, and the public transport is second to none and very affordable.
If you are dreaming of an exotic and adventurous experience, come to Thailand as a volunteer, and aside from all of the above benefits, you will also be helping the local communities enjoy a better life. Many travellers return time and time again, and who could blame them, with so much to see, do and experience. Thailand never fails to impress and the best way to experience this wondrous land is by working as a volunteer.